Education at UWA

Annual change - postgraduate coursework courses

Further information

  • Access CAIDi here
  • CAIDi Advice sheets

Other Processes

Need Help?

Your first point of contact is your Faculty Office.

For CAIDi help, choose one of the following options:

Email: [email protected]

Helpdesk: ext.6727

This information is intended to assist faculty users and other stakeholders who are submitting annual (planned) changes for approval.

Details of approved postgraduate coursework courses and all associated units are available and processed via CAIDi.

What do I need to do?


Essential reading material
  • Changes to the details of approved postgraduate coursework courses and associated units are made and submitted via CAIDi. Links to relevant policy and guidance documents are included in all change forms.
  • Any proposed changes must be submitted to the relevant board, or equivalent, for consideration.
  • Faculties may use PDF reports generated via CAIDi to allow consideration of changes to individual courses through the committee approval process.
  • It is strongly suggested that units associated with a course should be reviewed within the context of that course.
  • Faculties are encouraged to align internal approval processes and timelines with University deadlines.
  • Please note: annual changes to pre-2012 course rules and units follow a separate process.

Communication and consultation

Ensure that relevant faculty staff are aware of the change process via CAIDi. Keep communication channels open within faculty, across faculties and with relevant stakeholders including Central Administration.

Quality control

Quality of the data content is the responsibility of the faculty. Faculties should undertake a quality check before submitting change proposals.

New units and rescission of units

Every introduction or rescission of a unit needs to have a justification and faculty resolution. For each new unit (not yet approved for offering) introduced to a course structure, complete a new unit proposal form and submit alongside the change proposal to the course. Details of the units associated with postgraduate coursework courses will need to be approved by the Faculty Board.


Consider any impact a change to a unit is likely to have on the postgraduate course(s) in which the unit is taught and on students' academic progression.

Curriculum mapping

If significant changes to a postgraduate coursework course or its units have occurred, the curriculum mapping document for that course should be updated. For more details see Curriculum mapping.

Rescinding a course

Courses can be rescinded via the change process, by changing the 'Availability of course' field on the form. Generally, courses are rescinded "subject to existing students being able to re-enrol and complete": this means the course will continue to be taught until all existing students students complete it, but the course does not take new enrolments. Pre-2012 coures can be rescinded once they have been taught out and no students remain to re-enrol by selecting "Rescinded immediately with no students eligilble to re-enrol" from the drop down menu.

When do I need to submit?

It is strongly encouraged that faculties submit changes as and when they are ready. The recommended latest submission is by the end of May.

Note: faculty submission dates differ from central submission dates. When developing your change proposal, consider internal faculty approval processes and timings. For more details contact your Faculty Office.

What happens next?

  1. Change requests are submitted for committee approval (where relevant).
  2. Faculties are advised of the outcomes.
  3. Data is shared with other stakeholders on a need-to-know basis (including Student Systems; Digital and Creative Services; Office of Strategy, Planning and Performance; Student Administration; Timetabling; LMS; Admissions; Brand Marketing and Recruitment).
  4. Further opportunities for changing unit availabilities, unit coordinator, textbooks and other non-critical fields will be provided in September.

Back to top